top of page
100827-0911 Kontiki Sept Holiday00762010 Beccles

Oulton Broad Motor Boat Club

OBMBC-LOGO 2 colour

Mainly sunny weather for the whole weekend. Light, but cool, NW winds. A very good turnout as usual,  -  26 boats + 3 cars.  8 teams ( each of 2 to 7 persons) took part in the games, and again over 60 members and guests attended the weekend. Later, we all crowded inside the triple-gazebo for some lovely music and ditties from Bim and John.


All of us arrived by Friday lunchtime, 26 in all, some having been there a few days, others coming through Somerleyton bridge at the early low water and enjoying the flood tide all the way to Beccles. We decided to put the “marquee” up early at 1.30pm, in a square configuration of the two new blue gazebos and the old white one, but still problems and not too much fun, as we struggled to fix the uprights and canvas together. All done by 3pm, and then our club flag was raised alongside the quay heading.


The weather remained fine, so we held the committee meeting “al fresco” once more – on the grass near to our boat moorings. The meeting started just after 3.30pm and was over just after 5pm. A good meeting, mainly sorting out the forthcoming end-of-season dinner dance, and next year’s events calendar.


Most of us then went round for fish ‘n chips and ate them on our boats, along with a few beers and wine as tradition dictates. Then it was early to bed, ready for the next day’s hive of activities.


Saturday was another dry day, bit overcast at times but a warm 22’C. I started to issue the treasure hunt clues around 9.30am, as the teams started to assemble. We managed to get 8 teams together    ( it was to be 9 with Harry’s family and friends, but a problem with his medication meant that Graham and Laura had to abandon the day and return home. Pity, but at least Harry was fine later).The teams began their trek around the town early, filling in with a bit of shopping and stops for drinks etc, and all were back before the start of the games at just after 3pm. Dave had laid out the “arena” with large white ropes, and I set up my adjudicator’s table at the start line, complete with the “Paul Hodgson” trophy on show, whilst the spectators and teams set up their chairs around the perimeter.  


Bob was kept busy doing the umpiring again, and I kept  (fiddled?) the scores. Bob’s Boules kicked off the proceedings, followed in quick succession with Ball-balancing; Hula-hoop rolling; Hoopla rings; and ending with Dawn’s cards  - “good game, good game” as Brucie used to say! It was all over by 4.30pm, and we then distributed to each team a 30 question written quiz, as devised by my brother-in-law John and his wife Jane, who were my guests for the weekend. Bob rounded the afternoon off by handing out envelopes containing 3 more quiz questions – conundrums – which turned out to be quite a challenge. The teams then departed to answer the quizzes, all to be completed before the start of the evening’s entertainment.


Time then for the BBQ’s, most setting up near their individual boats and firing up around 5pm, with all cooking over by 7pm, before we all got ready for an evening of music and dancing, quickly staking our places in the crowded gazebos with our chairs ( no room for tables!). Bim and John had set up their gear earlier in the afternoon, and so they were ready to start the music at 8.30pm, while I had to remain on my boat to tot up all the treasure hunt and quiz scores and work out ( guess?) the final winners! The results were “in” by 9pm, and I read these out during the band break.


The final winners were team “Winkle”, John/Sandra, Bim/Jackie, and Jackie’s son, on 152 and ½ points; “Quizzlings” ( Hilda/Ivan and Malcolm/Angela ) second on 142; and third was Jen and her brother/sister-in-law, ably assisted by Colin/Audrey, the “Grey Nomads” on 130 and ½ . Bringing up the rear, with only the two of them in the team, was “The Gleams” on 89 points. A great effort! All the teams did well and I hope everybody enjoyed themselves.


The great night of music and dancing continued until 11pm, the “marquee” remaining packed right up to that time, some even sitting outside in the cool evening air. John’s new ditty about harbourmaster Tim went down well, and both him and Bim gave us some nice songs and good music for a packed dance floor. We all helped to clear the electronics gear back to John and Bim’s boats, but left our chairs in the gazebos when we closed up and went back to our boats at around 11.30pm.


Sunday morning was a lovely sunny start, and the early risers started to dismantle the gazebos and pack them away at 9.30am. We were leaving one new gazebo in storage with Tim, ready to use at the forthcoming Boat jumble on the 11th., and at the Carnival a week later on the 18th., the others were packed away on Dave’s boat, along with the club flag. Some members drifted away on the Sunday morning but quite a few of us decided to remain at Beccles until the Monday, and some were even staying for a week or more longer.


It had been another fantastic weekend, and many thanks are due to Tim, who packed us all in along the quayside. Well done him!

Next event is Oulton Broad for the Bank holiday Gala weekend.

Regards, Ken   -  August 2019

Fun Day - 3rd August - Beccles Yacht Station - Report

bottom of page