top of page
100827-0911 Kontiki Sept Holiday00762010 Beccles

Oulton Broad Motor Boat Club

OBMBC-LOGO 2 colour

The best turnout ever! 22 Boats attended over the whole long weekend, inc. one new member boat, + 2 cars.   49 members and guests attended the BBQ, of which 47 stayed for the evening’s entertainment.

This time the weather was, for the most-part, hot and sunny.  It was another July "heatwave", but unlike last year, it also encompassed our part of England,

( well, at least until the severe electric storms arrived  late on Saturday night!)

Quite a few boats arrived on the Thursday, 8 in fact, and we quickly set up our chairs for sitting in the sun and enjoying a few drinks together. It was pretty windy though, so we gave up thoughts of putting up the gazebo early – it could wait until Friday when we’ll have more help! There were a few other boats coming and going and one boat remained moored right in the centre of the quay – but they happily joined in with us and eventually decided to join the club as they had planned to stay for the weekend. Welcome to Bill and Sheila and their new Broom 39 “Joanna” (soon to be renamed “Misty Isle”).

We all did our own thing on Thursday evening, me, in company, trying out the gastro delights of the “White Horse” pub in Chedgrave. Drinks were great there, as was the meal (if a little pricey?) and Steve and Angela popped in to join us for an early pint, as it is their local.


Friday saw a further 9 boats arrive throughout the warm and sunny day, with us all running about trying to squeeze everyone in – no problem!  Andrew had to leave us that morning – he had planned to take some family members on a trip to the Northern Broads for the next few days – but we quickly filled his mooring space!  It was still windy as we set to and erected the new gazebo, leaving the front and back open to keep it cool (and negate the wind – it was so gusty that Dave had to throw over his heavy ropes again). Great fun & games putting up the gazebo – but why, after all these years, do we still struggle? Maybe it’s the drink or just us all enjoying a laugh? We certainly dismantle it without bother and pack it away quickly on Sunday mornings.

The rest of Friday was spent sitting about chatting and enjoying each others’ company, with lots of drinks and snacks thrown into the mix. Some of us strolled into town in the sunshine, for shopping and trying out the local hostelries. Steve had his car parked at Pyes Mill and he arranged his usual Fish n’ chip run at about 6pm, this time having to collect an order for most of the 17 boats now moored. After the meal, we continued into the evening where we left off – more drinking!


Saturday saw 4 more boats arrive, so that we now occupied the whole of the moorings – save for a Nuttall’s “bug” boat and a “ghost” liveaboard wreck at the far end. We had spread out a bit at that end but then couldn’t shift our boats which had grounded on the extremely low tide, so poor Robin lost out and had to raft “Jade” off “Prince  Albert”.   Being so many of us, and with a forecast of thunderstorms for Saturday, we decided to erect the old gazebo as an annexe to the new one. More fun and games, and more heavy ropes to keep it in-situ! Still, if it rained then it would make a good cover for our BBQ’s?  Later, some of us went into town for BBQ shopping and pub-hopping, before sorting out our chairs and tables and settling in for the afternoon.

The weather was still well on our side as we began the BBQ’s just after 5pm, welcoming Sandra & Keith and Joan & Ron who arrived in their cars. A nice couple of hours spent wining and dining, before clearing up and assembling inside (and mainly outside of) the gazebos ready for the evening’s entertainment.

Bob was MC, and Kath kicked off the musical soiree with some lovely songs, followed by a couple of ditties from Pip on her concertina.  Bob and John then took over on their guitars with some well known songs, before Kath sang again whilst a few of us took to the “floor”” for dancing to the slow numbers. John’s son Barry then joined his Dad for some great instrumental guitar music – memories of “The Shadows” flooding back. Flooding was the operative word then, for as John finished just before 11pm, the heavens opened and the promised lightning storms arrived. Good timing! Members thanked me for putting on this “firework” display ending, before all scuttling away to bed as the rain grew heavier. A great night was over.


Sunday began with a dry and sunny morning. We left the dismantling of the gazebos until after 10am, allowing them to dry out a bit, before packing them onto Dave’s boat ready for Bramerton. Some members left early due to the lowering tide  and others decided to stay a bit longer, or remain for another night. Heavy rain was due in the afternoon, so the latter was a good option. The finish of another fantastic club event.


Many thanks to all who attended and made it such a successful weekend.

See you all again at Bramerton on 2nd.August?


July 2014




The Summer BBQ - 19th July - Pyes Mill Loddon - 22 Boats + 2 Cars

bottom of page